Domestic Violence And Its Effects™
What is domestic abuse?
Domestic abuse between the intimate partners & couples is when the situation becomes that one person in the relationship wants to control the other one. Domestic violence is perpetrated by, and on, both men and women. The perpetrator uses fear, intimidation, humiliation, physical injury and may threaten to use physical violence. Domestic abuse which uses physical violence is called domestic violence.
Domestic violence occurs in all cultures, religions every kind of people which comes from any kind of economic and racial background
Physical, sexual, economic, or psychological abuse directed towards one’s spouse, partner, or other family members within the household called domestic violence.
Types of Domestic Violence :
- Physical violence
- Sexual abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Economic abuse or financial abuse
- Spiritual abuse
Physical Violence: In physical violence a man may punch his wife with his fists, or kick her if she has fallen to the ground. If she is pregnant, he might kick her in the abdomen. Weapons are also used in physical abuse - sometimes he will beat her with a stick, or shoot her with a gun. Or else he might just threaten her with these weapons.
Sexual Abuse: Abusers who are physically violent toward their intimate partners are often sexually violent as well. So we can say that sexual abuse is related to physical sexual assault violence. Sexual assault, sexual harassment and sexual exploitation come in sexual abuse.
Emotional abuse: The abuser tells the victim that they are worthless on their own.Making the victim feel that there is no way out of the relationship. Isolation from friends and family also comes in emotional abuse.
Financial abuse: The abuser makes insult of his partner if his financial condition is being good then the other one, and he feels jealous in its opposite case. In India their Are many cases where you will see that the wife is beat by her husband if her financial condition is being not too good and if she is not able to fulfill his demands?
Spiritual abuse: This type of situation comes when the intimate partners are become from the different religions.
- Domestic violence may start when one partner feels the need to control and dominate the other.
- Feel inferior to the other partner in education and socioeconomic background.
- Abusers may feel this need to control their partner because of low self-esteem, extreme jealousy, difficulties in regulating anger and other strong emotions
- Some men with very traditional beliefs may think they have the right to control women, and that women aren’t equal to men.
- Alcohol and other chemical substances may contribute to violent behavior
Effects of Domestic Violence:
- Domestic violence physically, psychologically and socially affects women, men and their families.
- Victims of domestic violence may be isolated from friends, family and neighbors and lose their network of social support
- Individuals who are abused live in fear and isolation in the one place they should always feel safe, their home.
- Child abuse and domestic violence often occur in the same family. Researchers have found that 50 percent to 70 percent of the men who frequently assaulted their wives also frequently abused their children.
- Around five to six million children witnesses the acts of violence against their mother every year.
- Domestic violence may result in physical injury, psychological harm or neglect of children
- Those persons who involves in the domestic violence have a six times greater chance of committing suicide.
- 25% of attempted suicides by women are contributed by women who are in domestic relationships.
- If a man is abusing a woman, he often has very traditional beliefs about the roles of men and women.
- Are less educated than the abused partner.
- Fear being abandoned by the partner.
- Have rigid expectations of the relationship
- Have poor impulse control and low frustration tolerance
- Are possessive, jealous and controlling of their partner.
- Blame their partners for their own abusive behavior.
- Use children to exert power over partner€™t