Acne is a skin disorder that comes in many forms and strikes teenagers and adults alike. In general, acne occurs when excess oil (sebum) production and dead skin cells clog pores. Bacteria forms in the pores resulting in red inflamed pimples, pus-filled whiteheads, or blackheads. Acne is very common. Experts estimate that as many as 80% of people experience some type of acne during their teen years alone. Plus, many people continue to experience acne during adulthood!
- Acne is curable. There is no cure for acne. However, acne can be controlled or prevented through maintaining good health and using acne medications.
- Tanning helps acne. While a great tan may temporarily mask your acne or dry up the oil glands, sun exposure will also damage your follicular walls. This will clog your pores and bring on more acne that could surface 3 or 4 weeks later.
- Masturbation or sex causes acne. This myth goes way back and it completely false. In fact, masturbation or sex may reduce your stress level and actually help reduce your acne.
- Chocolate or pizza causes acne. Unless you are part of the less than 2% of people that experience food allergies that bring on acne, a single food item cannot cause acne. However, a balanced diet is important to maintain a healthy body and promote healthy skin
- Bacteria is common culprit to all forms of acne.
- Hey! your not alone, an estimated eighty percent of the people suffer from some form of acne in their life
- Did you know there are many varieties of acne ? In fact, there are over fifty types of acne. However, the most common form is acne vulgaris.
- Although many individuals believe the sun makes their acne better, the reality is ultraviolet rays that penetrate the skin's surface can damage the follicles, closing them off and triggering acne two to four weeks after sun exposure.